The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burning smell and smoke e39 530i SE

3 posters

Go down

Burning smell and smoke e39 530i SE Empty Burning smell and smoke e39 530i SE

Post  jonno Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:47 am

Hi I have a problem with the odd puff of smoke into the cabin via the air vents and a burning smell from the engine via the air vents. Car running excellent apart from that. Temp and oil all seem okay. Don't understand cause car is really runninng very well could'nt be better apart from the odd puff of smoke and smell definately oil burning smell. Any suggestions help appreciated Thank you Jonno

jonno

Back to top Go down

Burning smell and smoke e39 530i SE Empty Re: Burning smell and smoke e39 530i SE

Post  MightyBMW Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:38 am

Hi jonno,

Sorry for the late response!...

Do you have any oil leaking from the rocker cover? of and evidence of an oil drip on any of the breather pipes? My guess is that oil is dripping on to the hot exhaust manifold and burning away and then coming into the cabin area...

mightybmw.

Last edited by MightyBMW on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Burning smell and smoke e39 530i SE Empty Re: Burning smell and smoke e39 530i SE

Post  jonno Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Thank you mightybmw I have now bought a rocker cover gasket and will have it fitted, hoping that will do it. I did notice some oil weeping onto the exhaust cover. I notice someone at a time has used instant gasket and if you recall I had a problem with the crankcase breather which I had replaced. Could have been the people who replaced the Crankcase breather. I will update you on progress Regards Jonno

jonno

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:10 pm

ahh yes, i do remember. It is worth investigating. Keep us posted. Wink

Cheers
mightybmw
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jonno Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Well it was rocker cover gasket. Seemingly, they harden after a few years. My car is an 01 530i 115,000 miles. Now running sweet engine is really smooth, hope i havn't jinxed myself. Wonder will I get the in the 200k club out of this one as body work is mint and i mean MINT so if it doesn't it won't be due to the bodywork. First BMW I have had and very very impressed. Many say the straight 6 is the best and bullet proof. Would be interested in any views or thoughts members may have.. Jonno

jonno

Back to top Go down

Burning smell and smoke e39 530i SE Empty Rocker cover gasket

Post  surinder Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 am

Hi guys what is rocker cover gasket???

surinder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down