The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abs sensors on e39 5 series

4 posters

Go down

Abs sensors on e39 5 series Empty Abs sensors on e39 5 series

Post  Mick Sat May 09, 2009 9:41 am

Hi all.
Recently I had the misfortune to have my abs warning light and traction control light come on, along with the speedo not working! I took the car to my local garage and had a diognostic check done on it, this revealed that there is a sensor problem at the o/s rear wheel. I changed the sensor and the warning lights went out and the speedo started working temporarily, before the warning lights came back on. This afternoon, I have stripped out the rear hub assembly only to find that there seems to be nothing visibally wrong!

My questions are; Could the problem be the reluctor ring......and if so, why? Or is the new sensor faulty?
Any advice or suggestions will be gratefully recieved as it's not much fun driving through a 30mph limit with a police car up my ass and my speedo not working!

Answers on a postcard please to.....lol

Mick

Mick

Back to top Go down

Abs sensors on e39 5 series Empty Re: Abs sensors on e39 5 series

Post  Spartan Sat May 09, 2009 10:24 am

Hi mate,

It is not unheard of "new" speed sensors packing up soon after replacement.

I would take it back to the garage that fixed the problem initially, it should be covered under warranty.

The sensor wires are surprisingly easily damaged if not handled with care whilst removing/installing.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat May 09, 2009 10:31 am

Spartan wrote:Hi mate,

It is not unheard of "new" speed sensors packing up soon after replacement.

I would take it back to the garage that fixed the problem initially, it should be covered under warranty.

The sensor wires are surprisingly easily damaged if not handled with care whilst removing/installing.

Hi Spartan.

I did the work myself

Mick

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Sat May 09, 2009 10:34 am

Ah!

Ok.

Was it an original sensor?

Before you go and replace anything- I would go and get the codes read again mate.

........just in case.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat May 09, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Spartan

It was a spurious sensor that i used. The codes were read before commencement of work this afternoon and pointed to the issue that i have.

By the way, thanks very much for getting back to me so promptly!

Mick

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Sat May 09, 2009 10:44 am

Ok, I would put it down to a dudd sensor and get it replaced by the vendor and then see how you go...........I would als double check the car end of the sensor wires for any obvious damage.

We have seen this a few times where new ABS sensors have failed almost instantly after installation, sometimes it is down to a cheap part but sometimes it has been down to "rough" handling of the sensor whilst installing.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat May 09, 2009 10:50 am

I'm more likely to err on the dud sensor too, I was told to handle with care and I did. The trouble is, you don't know how carefully the pickers and packers handle things like these. Is there a way of testing the sensor?
How bad would the reluctor ring need to be before it threw a fault code?

Mick

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Sat May 09, 2009 10:54 am

To be honest mate, there is no real way of testing the sensor.

Reluctor ring? honestly, never had to replace one on a beemer yet.

My money would be on a sensor, do you have a code reader of your own mate?
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat May 09, 2009 10:59 am

My mate has the code reader, it's a good quality `Snap-on` one

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Mon May 11, 2009 11:40 am

Today I fitted another new wheel speed sensor and that still never cured it so I thought I'd replace the reluctor ring. After a reasonably easy strip down I replaced the reluctor ring and re-assembled the whole thing, all to no avail as the abs and traction control lights are still on and the speedo is still not bloody working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Mon May 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Hmmm, despite what you have tryed, it still seems like the speed sensor to me.... But maybe its the connector or the wire itself... id get hold of a multimeter and test the wire/connector.. it may be damaged or the connector maybe damaged... It seems odd, that when you changed it previously, the speedo worked then stopped again... now after changing it again you are getting total failure.... it seems unreasonable to suspect another failure, but not to be ruled out unfortunately... Crying or Very sad

hmmm, just give the wires a check mick, and let us know, so we can look into it further.... Wink

Thanks.
Mightybmw....
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Mon May 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Mighty.

The speedo works until the abs/tc warning lights come on, then the needle falls to zero. Wether it's reading the correct speed at this time, remains to be seen.
Like you've just advised, I think it's a wire checking process next!

Best regards
Mick

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Ok mick, do let us know how you get on... Wink
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Mon May 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Will do mate

Mick

Back to top Go down

Abs sensors on e39 5 series Empty e39 abs and speedo not working

Post  6526reels Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:26 pm

hi mate ive got the exact same problem as u, when the car heats up after about 10 mins my speedo stops working the mpg guage stops working,abs light and esp light comes on , plugged in diagnostics equipment and it said speed sensor on n/s/r wheel, changed it and problem is still there,

6526reels

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Right guys!

After replacing all four wheel speed sensors (some of them twice!), Both back wheel bearing assemblies (Because they are complete with reluctor rings!), had the abs pump checked (it came back with no faults found!) I finally thought `sod this` and ended up taking it to the local garage! The very friendly mechanic checked it out with his "Wireless" BMW diagnostic kit and found that there is another ABS gismo behind the glove box, this was removed and sent for repair. £50.00 later, my car was back on the road with no abs or traction control lights on and all systems functioning normally. If only I'd have taken it there when the warning lights came on!!!!!!!!!!

From this episode I've learnt to pay someone with the right gear to do the job, as you can soon run up a few hundred quid and be in the same shit!

Best regards
Mick

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down