The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Projector headlamps over OEM

3 posters

Go down

Projector headlamps over OEM Empty Projector headlamps over OEM

Post  gimble Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 am

Hello, I have a 523i tourer 2000 pre facelift which does not have the changeover lever in the headlights for continental driving. As I am in France for a while I have to change them. I can get standard OEM for 4000€ per set + postage or the is a company called Performance lights who have the
Chrome Angel Eye Projector Headlights to fit, this is what they say:-

BMW 5-series (E39) (12.1995 to 2000) - pre-facelift model

Adaptable for right and left hand drive use. Supplied without motor.

Halo rings are supplied with user-replaceable halogen bulbs. 4 x H7 bulbs must be transferred from original lamps. Halogen bulbs provide a yellow light output.

Halo rings are pre-wired to the side light circuit.

Suitable as a replacement for cars without automatic height adjustment. Can be fitted to all models, but automatic levelling function will be lost - this will not cause MOT failure as it is not a legal requirement

Part No: BW-E39-5000

Projector headlamps for £159 + postage which sounds good to me.
I would like some advice as to which to go for as I am not that clued up on all the new lighting available to cars, or open to any other idea's. Thanks very much for your time Smile

gimble

Back to top Go down

Projector headlamps over OEM Empty Re: Projector headlamps over OEM

Post  slinky Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:13 am

yes as it states you will lose the levelling capabitility. You will have to leave it disconnected. But i have my reservations about the mot failure thing they claim. If the headlights are out of alignment, then that is an mot failure. But im not sure about in france. But then lots of people have fitted these headlamps without issue. Other than that, they are a direct replacement and you shouldnt encounter any issues, but make sure you state lhd, just in case there is any difference with these headlamps, as im sure there will be. Also, they are supplied with bulbs, so it seems a good package. I think the angel light 'boom' in popularity has subsided a little now so, you can get good deals.

slinky

slinky

Back to top Go down

Post  gimble Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks slinky, which ever I were to fit here would still have to be re-alighned to get through the "control tecnique" (French MOT) as I will register the car here. My other thoughts are with the OEM lights I should have the change over for uk/europe, somthing I would prefer. Thanks again, Gimble Smile

gimble

Back to top Go down

Post  slinky Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:42 am

Getting the new headlights aligned is a good idea. They will need to be aligned using a laser, which not all garages, over here in the UK at least, have at their disposal. I certainly like the angel lights and the fact that you have got to replace your standard lights anyways, is a perfect excuse for the upgrade! Very Happy

slinky

slinky

Back to top Go down

Post  gimble Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Thank you again Slinky, last Q before buying, are the halo bulbs easy to replace & get hold of if req? Cheers, Gimble

gimble

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:34 pm

The main beam and headlight bulbs will transfer over from your original lamps.... The angel light bulbs are pretty readily available, and available from the performance lights website for 10x £5.21

mightybmw
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gimble Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:50 am

Thanks fella's, very helpful. Smile

gimble

Back to top Go down