The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

525d... new or recon turbo?!

2 posters

Go down

525d... new or recon turbo?! Empty 525d... new or recon turbo?!

Post  jumpinjohnson Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:35 am

Hi guys, new user here. I've got a technical problem you might be able to help me with... I hope!

Got a 2001 E39 525d with a blown turbo... I've been quoted £800 + VAT for a brand new garrett unit including seals/gaskets etc. I've also been quoted £425 + VAT for a re-con unit. It would seem to be a no brainer apart from the fact that someone has told me that there are no official Garrett replacement parts for this turbo and that anything that goes into them is complete c**p... that they will last no time at all before going bang.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

jumpinjohnson

Back to top Go down

525d... new or recon turbo?! Empty Re: 525d... new or recon turbo?!

Post  MightyBMW Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:47 am

Well, it entirely up to you, my view is if you are going to keep the car another 10 years, then a new turbo seems like a good idea, but there is little that can go wrong with a turbo... There is a bearing, a shaft and seals. Then you have the blades which can fail due to lack of cooling and/or oil or because the bearings have failed and cause lots of movement in the shaft.... But usually the turbo sounds like nails in a butter tub when this is the case...

Recons are reliable thanks to the lack of parts inside them, so little to go wrong, but that is by no means a guarantee... It is still an involved job. I would go for the recon if the company offered some guarantees and have a good reputation... There is a very good chance that it will last another 7-8 years.
Turbos will live a lot longer if you look after them in the car, not accelerating hard when the car is cold, and leaving the car to idle 15-20 seconds after a journey can significantly increase its life. And of course regular servicing...

But overall, its all comes down to best value for money, and like i say if you have no plans to rid of the car any time soon, then a new turbo is worth it, but personally a recon will do the job, just make sure you get some guarantees and look into the reputation of the company if you can...

hope this helps.

mightybmw
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down