The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

run flats - poor ride?

3 posters

Go down

run flats - poor ride? Empty run flats - poor ride?

Post  mork321 Mon May 18, 2009 2:44 pm

hi
1st post;
got a 525d se tourer auto. it's on standard 17" alloys with bridgestone re050 runflats. the ride seems hard and uncomfortable. on cornering i feel i can sense wheel bounce from the n/s/f. not sure if this is down to hard side walls of run flats or my suspension? it's an 06 plate done 70k still in warranty.
I have driven sport models and these felt softer or better damped?
got it booked into the local BMW service centre but wanted to make sure i was not sold down the river on parts & tyres etc.
has anyone heard of this before? or can offer tips / advice?
NC pale

mork321

Back to top Go down

run flats - poor ride? Empty Re: run flats - poor ride?

Post  MightyBMW Mon May 18, 2009 3:12 pm

The first generation of run flats in particular make for a lumpy and hard ride thanks to the harder sidewalls.... Many people do revert to normal everyday tyres to restore comfort and ride... its arguable that normal tyres increases fuel economy too...

I would definately consider the switch over.... you will loose boot space of course... and bmw will argue their suspension are designed for run flats... But it seems NON RFT bridgestones are the tyre to go for on the swap over from RFT's... But if you go for a top brand tyre with an EXTRA LOAD rating, you should be fine....
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mork321 Tue May 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks,

do i need to get new wheels? or do the tyres just fit on the run flat rim? sorry but this technology is just beyond me! Funny thing is that my 525d is an ex BMW car acording to my dealer, on run flats, and it has a spacesaver wheel kit in the boot as a option from new!?!?
would love the improved economy...
NC Wink

mork321

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Tue May 19, 2009 2:34 pm

People have sucessfully done this swap over on run flat rims, mainly after supply issues!! Just make sure the tyre fitter can do it, some are still in the dark about run flats... just ring around local fitters or preferably at first, a local BMW independant garage...

But yeah, it is a common swap over... Wink
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aircraft1 Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 pm

I have just swapped over from run flats to Pirelli p zero rosso non run flats on my 2006 525 m sport ( 18" 245/40/18 ). You can swap straight over without changing wheels but must do all 4 instead of mixing them up. I never really had a problem with run flats but could get 4 new pirelli's for the same price as 2 decent run flats ( pirelli's came from event tyres who are nationwide and mobile and will come out and fit them £612.00 for 4 ) The difference is AMAZING the guy who fitted them recommended 2psi extra to compensate for the suspension set up for run flats and i feel like i have a new car, It corners like a 3 series coupe and rides on the motorway like a 7 series. I would highly recommend having it done if your considering it ( also the pirelli's are very good too ). Main dealers will sell you a kit which comprises of a space saver spare, a jack and block for £165.....But i just opted for the good old tyreweld Very Happy which will basically get you home the same as the run flats.

Aircraft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum