The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

head gasket on a 523 25 6s 4 engine

2 posters

Go down

head gasket on a 523 25 6s 4 engine Empty head gasket on a 523 25 6s 4 engine

Post  JamieMartin Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:37 am

Hi

I am trying to replace the head gasket on a 98 523 with the 25 6s 4 engine. I have got as far as removing the manifolds and fron water system components. The cams are locked up and the flywheel pinned with 1 and 6 on tdc. my question is, why can i not remove the vanos unit?! It is the one that requires an air tool to release it I believe. I retro fitted a vacuum pump that fits on an airline and run approx 8 bar of air pressure through it, it still wont release. I even attached the vacuum and then did 2 rounds of the engine and re pinned it, still it wont come off. It slides back and forth but just wont come off?!

can anyone shed some light on this for me?

thanks in advance, J

JamieMartin

Back to top Go down

head gasket on a 523 25 6s 4 engine Empty Re: head gasket on a 523 25 6s 4 engine

Post  slinky Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:22 am

Im not the expert on here about the vanos and dual vanos systems. But you will almost certainly need a big breaker bar on it mate and a quality socket. The bolt is loctited and fairly sure it is left hand thread. The Vanos will have to be retimed when you remove it, because if it isnt in the exact same place as when you removed it, the engine will never run properly at all.

slinky.

slinky

Back to top Go down

head gasket on a 523 25 6s 4 engine Empty Re: head gasket on a 523 25 6s 4 engine

Post  JamieMartin Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:38 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

the unit itself doesnt have a centre bold, there are 6 bolds which are located engine side of the unit, not really wanting to remove them incase it falls apart down the case! bit wary on just leavering it off aswell as it dont look cheap. I have done the other type of vanos that bolts thru the front case and is on a spline, that just came off by rotating it.

JamieMartin

Back to top Go down

Post  slinky Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 am

The vanos is an expensive unit indeed! Usually they prove to be faulty when they rattle at low revs and start up, power is lost etc etc.... I will draw this thread to the attention of the other guys, which are more knowledgable with the vanos system.

slinky

slinky

Back to top Go down

head gasket on a 523 25 6s 4 engine Empty Anyone have any ideas?

Post  JamieMartin Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:28 am

Hi guys, seems the conversation has dried up, does anyone have any ideas.

JamieMartin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down