The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

power loss after running out of fuel 530i e39

3 posters

Go down

power loss after running out of fuel 530i e39 Empty power loss after running out of fuel 530i e39

Post  barks Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:46 am

Car spluttered to a stop as soon as fuel low warning light came on. Refueled, now car takes a while before it fires up and has sufferred a huge power lose. Is there a fuel filter and if so where is it and is it easy to change?, as I'm hoping this is the cause of the power loss.

barks

Back to top Go down

power loss after running out of fuel 530i e39 Empty Re: power loss after running out of fuel 530i e39

Post  MightyBMW Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:56 am

Hi,
What age is you five series?

Cheers
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

power loss after running out of fuel 530i e39 Empty Re: power loss after running out of fuel 530i e39

Post  barks Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:39 am

The car was new in Oct 2000.
Just been out in it again and its coughing and spluttering above 3500rpm (when it eventually gets there). Took about 4 seconds of turning over before it fired into life. Normally its instant.

barks

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 am

the fuel filter should be located underneath your car on the left hand side and may be covered by a plastic cover. Its long and cylindrical. replacement is easy, just be careful as you remove the first pipe, as the system will be under pressure, put a rag over it as you pull it off...

It could be that because the tank has ran dry, thay crap from the bottom of the tank has entered the filter and clogged it up.. they do need replacing ever 30,000 miles or so anyway... If this doesnt solve your problem, then it looks like the fuel pump has taken a turn for the worst and is delivering low fuel pressure..
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rogers Rig Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:38 pm

My 540 Touring also ran out of fuel and now misses and splutters on start up , until it has ran for a couple of minutes and then seems ok , it might be the same problem !!

Rogers Rig

Back to top Go down

Post  barks Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:30 am

Went to Ocean BMW at Falmouth today and had the fault codes read. There were several which they reset, saying that running out of fuel was probably the cause and this resticted performance.
The car is back to what it should be and starts instantly. The car was washed and the inside was hoovered as well, all for the costly sum of £32.20! Thanks go to the guys at Ocean.
I'm glad I found this forum, without reading other peoples topics I might have spent a fortune on a fools erand.
Thanks to those who replied to my call for help.

barks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down