The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

engine splutter

2 posters

Go down

engine splutter Empty engine splutter

Post  furcroft Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 am

hi i have a 530 sport 52plate what happens is after 30-40mins of driving if you try to go over 2000rpms the engine cuts out for a split second then engages again making the car fill jerky if i put in neutral and rev it it splutters for a second or two but then starts to rev ok then if you drive it. it feels under powered upto about 3000rpms and does nt seem to pull away as smooth as it should. if you turn the engine off it will turn over about ten times before starting if i turn the engine off and leave for 40mins its fine and then after 30-40mins same again. check control ok thanks dave

furcroft

Back to top Go down

engine splutter Empty Re: engine splutter

Post  MightyBMW Mon May 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Dave,

Does it overheat?
Have you noticed a drop in MPG?
Have you had the fault codes read at all?

There are a number of engine sensors that can cause running problems... MAF, Oxygen/lambda sensors, TPS (throttle position sensor).. etc etc... If i had to bet on which sensor it could be, then i would lean towards the MAF or oxygen sensor... But it is difficult to tell, this is where getting the fault codes read makes financial and practical sense,

We also cannot discount the posibility of a vacuum leak in the vacuum pipes and inlet manifold... its worth giving these a once over to eliminate that possibility... Its free and easy to check...

take a look at the link for diagrams of the vacuum pipes... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=DT52&mospid=47546&hg=11&fg=45

thanks.
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

engine splutter Empty engine splutter

Post  furcroft Mon May 18, 2009 1:05 pm

car doesnt overheat, mpg same as usual, havent had any faults read, not sure what to do i dont really want to take it to bmw. {what is a maf } thanks

furcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Mon May 18, 2009 1:19 pm

MAF is mass airflow meter....

it sits between the air filter and the throttle body on the intake....

You wont necessarily have to take it to BMW for a fault code read.... most independant garages house these diagnostic tools these days... Its a very quick and simple job to do... and a good way of eliminating 90% of engine faults... Just ask a local garage near you... They need a OBD-II readers... these are easily obtainable yourself also, they are not expensive, take a look on ebay of google it.... they are certainly a tool worth buying...

Hope this helps... Wink
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

engine splutter Empty engine spluter

Post  furcroft Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 pm

thanks for your help i will keep you posted

furcroft

Back to top Go down