The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parking sensor fault

3 posters

Go down

Parking sensor fault Empty Parking sensor fault

Post  me140 Fri May 29, 2009 8:15 am

Hello all - first time posting for me Very Happy
I have just bought a 2002 E46 318 saloon and am really happy with it apart from a fault with the parking sensors.
When the weather is warm they don't work correctly - they beep all the time or beep what I guess is a fault message as it is the same pattern over and over again. Is there anyway to tell which sensor is faulty?
Thanks for any help you can give me

me140

Back to top Go down

Parking sensor fault Empty Re: Parking sensor fault

Post  MightyBMW Fri May 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi there,

If get up close with your ears, with the it in reverse... (handbrake on of course... Very Happy) with the ignition on, you should be able to hear each sensor 'clicking' the one(s) that dont, are broken and need replacing... hope this helps, but remember, there could be more than one faulty sensor..

Hope this helps...
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  me140 Fri May 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Great - I will try that - thank you

me140

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Fri May 29, 2009 3:24 pm

me140 wrote:Great - I will try that - thank you

No problems, keep us posted... Very Happy
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  me140 Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Hello again - I had a listen today and it is the off side inner one that is faulty. The rest are clicking away happily and this one clicks when it feels like it.

I have had a look on ebay and there are quite a few on but how do I find out which one will fit mine as there are several different part numbers quoted but the sellers all say they will fit an E46?

me140

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Sat May 30, 2009 3:00 pm

You will find lots of copies around, which explains different part numbers... They all should be ok, but i would choose OEM... these seem ok with colours to match also... see here... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-PARK-DISTANCE-SENSORS-E39-E46-E60-E63-E65-E87-E90_W0QQitemZ170336966621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27a8dfd7dd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

-sorry for the extraordinary long link- Suspect

Beware, Just in case you do pressure wash your car, avoid the parking sensors as these pretty much eat them...

Thanks,
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

Back to top Go down

Parking sensor fault Empty Faulty parking sensor

Post  Soundbloke Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi there

Just to pick up on the faulty parking sensor subject

Mine have just failed within the last couple of days. I've a 2001 touring and when put into reverse it either sounds a permanent tone, or does nothing even when you reverse right up to an obstacle. Is this the same fault i.e. one faulty sensor, or is there a control module that might have failed?

Cheers tah

Soundbloke

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 am

It sounds like it could just be a parking sensor, put it into reverse with the ignition on get your ears up close to each sensor and listen for clicking. If one or more dont, then you will need to replace it/them.

Hope this helps.
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  me140 Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Just a quick update - the weather is a bit cooler and they are all working ok Very Happy
I have located one on ebay - I rang up my local dealer for the part number of my sensors - and am going to bid on it next week. Thank you to everyone for the expert help.

me140

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 am

No problem at all. Very Happy

good luck.
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

Back to top Go down