The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Help - 1998 328iS (Auto/Manual) with M Package!

2 posters

Go down

Please Help - 1998 328iS (Auto/Manual) with M Package! Empty Please Help - 1998 328iS (Auto/Manual) with M Package!

Post  ibrahim Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:43 pm

I just bought this car, went through the entire Car Manual, no where it says when to change Automatic Transmission Fluid, it does not mention any thing about change interval nor specifies the specification the ATF has to meet to be used in this car??

Automatic Transmission FLUID
Can anyone please tell me, every how many KM the ATF has to be changed and what specification does the ATF has to meet. I was not able to locate stick to measure ATF's level.

POWER STEERING
Again no mention of what specification the PS fluid should meet, and I was unable to locale the PS reservoir, to see if it needs any topping up...so where is this located?

DIFFERENTIAL
How often do I change or top up, what spec does the differential fluid has to meet?

and lastly, what would have happen if i use the lowest grade octane (87) gas?

rest I was able to figure out Wink

anyone who can help me with this, much appreciated.
Many Thanks!

ibrahim

Back to top Go down

Please Help - 1998 328iS (Auto/Manual) with M Package! Empty Re: Please Help - 1998 328iS (Auto/Manual) with M Package!

Post  MightyBMW Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:15 am

Hi,
The ATF doesnt have a specific routine nor does the Diff unit for oil changes...

With the ATF in the autoboxes generally have 'lifetime fluid' but what bmw consider 'lifetime' is anyones guess... this is why you will not find a autobox dipstick... The only time you should need to replace the transmission fluid is if the fluid is a brown/black colour. If its a nice red colour then the oil is fine and the autobox is operating normally.. But its your call really.

Similar for the diff unit... people often neglect these and forget/ignore about oil leaks etc.. and problems will start to arise... changing the oil is a pretty simple job and well worth doing... again, there is no specific interval, but with your car being 10 or so years old, its your call... I recommend using a good quality 75/90 oil for the diff...

For the power steering use a Dextron II Type ATF fluid...

the power steering reservoir looks like this... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BG23&mospid=47485&btnr=32_0618&hg=32&fg=20

and here.... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BG23&mospid=47485&btnr=32_0727&hg=32&fg=20

And as for the 87ron fuel...your car should be fine.. The engine management system will adapt the fuelling to match the grade of fuel, but obviously the higher the octane, the more power the engine will run at...

HTH...
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Please Help - 1998 328iS (Auto/Manual) with M Package! Empty Re: Please Help - 1998 328iS (Auto/Manual) with M Package!

Post  ibrahim Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Thank you for ur reply "MightyBMW"

on the fuel tank door it says not to use fuel less than 90 Octane so does it in the Manual, i have settled to using 89 Octane, car seems to run fine on it....have not attempted 87 Octane, just being cautious....although would not mind using it given the gas prices are going through the roof...

okay...after reading your post and seeing the pics...I located my Power Steering Reservoir, it was very low, so I topped it up...with a synthetic power steering fluid which meets specs for my BMW....now...

how can I even know if I have adequate amount of Automatic Transmission Fluid....there is no dipping stick...so how can i tell the level...or even if i need to replace my oil if it is no longer pinkish or red in colour?

how can i top off ATF in my car and from where....?
Thank You!

ibrahim

Back to top Go down

Post  ibrahim Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 am

So I finally did change the fluids last week, so far all things are performing better, I would say it was an improvement.

Got it all done by my local mechanic

Engine Oil = 5.5L Castrol Syntec + 1L Red Line 0W-30
Oil Filter = Baldwin
Also using Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Differential Fluid = 2L Amsoil 75w-110
Transmission Fluid = 3L Red Line D4 ATF

Car mileage 242K KM

ibrahim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down