The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

z3 central locking ?

3 posters

Go down

z3 central locking ? Empty z3 central locking ?

Post  topgolfer007 Mon May 18, 2009 4:56 am

Hello,ive just joined this site so bear with me.....anyway,i own a super z3 W reg,2.8 beast,lovely car,HOWEVER,im have just noticed the passenger side door wont lock via the key[central locking],i have to do it manually inside the car and its becoming a pain,had the car 7 months and not had a problem and its just starting to happen........ANY IDEAS beemer people.... please help.......am i gonna have to take the door panel to pieces?the boot and drivers door lock ok.i await someones thoughts.....

philip

topgolfer007

Back to top Go down

z3 central locking ? Empty Re: z3 central locking ?

Post  MightyBMW Mon May 18, 2009 6:17 am

Hi Philip, That sounds like the central locking actuator/motor.... Unfortunately, the door card will need to be removed to access it...

see here for the diagram... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CH32&mospid=48082&btnr=41_1630&hg=41&fg=40 Number 9 is the part...

Can you hear the door click as if it is locking/unlocking when you use the central locking?
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

z3 central locking ? Empty central locking.....

Post  topgolfer007 Tue May 19, 2009 2:09 am

Cheers for the reply mighty bmw,NO,there is no noise or clicking from the lock or door when operating the key[central locking] Sad .Do you think it might just want greasing,i only use the car at weekends,probably not enough hence it might of ceased....It doesnt lock or open.
I notice from your diagram it looks quite an expensive part, secondhand availabilty?

I await a reply PAL.....

topgolfer007

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Tue May 19, 2009 2:23 am

topgolfer007 wrote:Cheers for the reply mighty bmw,NO,there is no noise or clicking from the lock or door when operating the key[central locking] Sad .Do you think it might just want greasing,i only use the car at weekends,probably not enough hence it might of ceased....It doesnt lock or open.
I notice from your diagram it looks quite an expensive part, secondhand availabilty?

I await a reply PAL.....

By all means, if you can get some WD-40 in there and give that a try, it certainly wont hurt, but if there is no clicking then the actuator seems dead... You could have a look at the condition of the wires going into the door and if you remove the door card, just check the wiring to the actuator is ok, but a faulty actuator seems the likely cause...

They are £65 from the dealers if i remember... Also, a quick scour on ebay as threw up one http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=z3+door+actuator&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Thanks
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

Back to top Go down

z3 central locking ? Empty actuater !

Post  topgolfer007 Wed May 27, 2009 2:54 am

Hi,is it easy to get the inside panel off to look at the actuater[central locking fault]?after further experiments ive noticed when both doors are shut and im inside the car,if i press the passenger side button down,BOTH LOCKS WORK FINE!if i get out the car it doesnt!seems strange and very annoying.....ANY thoughts on what i can do to rectify the fault?

cheers

topgolfer007

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Wed May 27, 2009 8:23 am

Hmmm, I too think you have an acuator problem.

I had the same problem on my M3.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

z3 central locking ? Empty WHERE is the actuater ?

Post  topgolfer007 Fri May 29, 2009 2:22 am

Hi guys,could one of you tell me where the actuater is situated?i realise its behind the door card but where?,can i test it before replacing it?how many wires go in and out of it? cheers beeme men [and ladies of course]!

topgolfer007

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Fri May 29, 2009 3:39 am

The Actuator is situated inside the door panel next to the locking mechanism...

Heres a picture of them on a 3 series, but is the same as yours...

z3 central locking ? Actuat10

z3 central locking ? Actuat11

You should be able to hear the actuator operate... There is a little electric motor inside and these do pack up, sometimes thanks to rain water getting in at them... Take a look at the link also in one of my replies above for a cut-away diagram of the actuator with the locking mechanism....

If you have a multimeter, you can test the wires going into the actuator, disconnect the actuator connector, earth the negative probe from the multimeter to the door, and positive probe into the wires in the connector to test for voltage, if there is voltage in the wires and not operation from the actuator, then the actuator is finished, and a new one will need to be obtained...

Although its a faff, and if you have a spare afternoon, you could also swap the actuator over from the drivers door and see if your problem now resides in the drivers door, again proving the actuator is faulty...

hope this helps...
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

Back to top Go down

z3 central locking ? Empty c/locking !

Post  topgolfer007 Fri May 29, 2009 4:57 am

Your an expert pal.........thanks for your time......il let you know how i get on....CHEERS !

topgolfer007

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down