The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The BMW Forum
Hi there!

Welcome to The BMW Forum.... The forum for help with your BMW technical problems and discussion forums.

Please register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum such as 15% off oil and service parts, courtesy of opie oils!.

We hope you find this forum useful and enjoyable...

We are now after moderators to join us and our fast growing community. Please PM admin if you are interested.

Many Thanks, Admin and the moderator team.
The BMW Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E46 cutting out a junctions when cold

2 posters

Go down

E46 cutting out a junctions when cold Empty E46 cutting out a junctions when cold

Post  robknowles Wed May 27, 2009 5:16 am

Hi I have a 2004 318 se touring which has an intermittent cutting out problem before reaching full operating temperature.

Typically this happens when I am waiting to pull out of a junction or roundabout, and the car is just at the top of the blue on the temp guage. I will go to pull out and the throttle is unresponsive, dropping down to about 600-700 rpm, and then just cutting out. As soon as I re-start the car it pulls away fine. This is extremely disconcerting, since the car will actually pull forward part way across the carriageway, and then cut out. I am really worried that at some point we are going to be t-boned by someone while we are stuck in the middle of the road. If anyone can advise I would be extremely grateful.

robknowles

Back to top Go down

E46 cutting out a junctions when cold Empty Re: E46 cutting out a junctions when cold

Post  MightyBMW Wed May 27, 2009 6:13 am

Hi,

As always with this kind of fault, its worth checking the vacuum pipes around the inlet for perished pipes or pipes that have come adrift.... its free to check and often is the case with these kind of faults...

If all is ok in this department, then you really need to get the fault codes read, this will throw up in most cases, the sensor at fault, and the fault you are experiencing is likely to be a cam position sensor or perhaps even the mass air flow (maf) sensor.... But either way, getting the fault codes read will narrow down the source of the cause considerably, and shouldnt cost a lot to have done.. in fact, you can buy the readers cheaply around £25-£30 and are well worth owning for future use.... You need the OBD-II readers...

Most garages have these, nowadays, so a local should be able to give you the code....

HTH....
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

E46 cutting out a junctions when cold Empty Re: E46 cutting out a junctions when cold

Post  robknowles Wed May 27, 2009 8:47 am

MightyBMW wrote:Hi,

As always with this kind of fault, its worth checking the vacuum pipes around the inlet for perished pipes or pipes that have come adrift.... its free to check and often is the case with these kind of faults...

If all is ok in this department, then you really need to get the fault codes read, this will throw up in most cases, the sensor at fault, and the fault you are experiencing is likely to be a cam position sensor or perhaps even the mass air flow (maf) sensor.... But either way, getting the fault codes read will narrow down the source of the cause considerably, and shouldnt cost a lot to have done.. in fact, you can buy the readers cheaply around £25-£30 and are well worth owning for future use.... You need the OBD-II readers...

Most garages have these, nowadays, so a local should be able to give you the code....

HTH....

Thanks very much indeed for this. I'll try them out (cheapest first!) and let you know the outcome.

robknowles

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyBMW Wed May 27, 2009 8:50 am

No problem...

Keep us updated. Wink
MightyBMW
MightyBMW
Admin

http://www.thebmwforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down